On October 4th, Nkechi Ogbue, Steve Hucal, Luk Boral, and Steve Southard (President) welcomed Stephen Gibson to the group. Stephen was involved in the SU/Korea program with Ryan Skrobar. By the way, happy birthday to Ryan who celebrated his birthday on that day!
We discussed a number of things that can help take our group to the next level. Steve Hucal has done a lot of work to raise the profile of the Penn Wharton alumni group as well as the IUCT and I think those of us in attendance last night agreed that we need to take similar steps or our group will not sustain. So, the next board meeting is a critical one and we will need to discuss all the various initiatives and assign responsibilities. This is a commitment on the part of people who want to participate but the time commitment should not be burdensome.
In summary, here are the list of initiatives we discussed:
1. Appoint a Secretary and a Treasurer
2. Appoint a Membership Director
3. Appoint an Information Officer (responsible for website content, communications, phone list and email list)
4. Open Bank account (Treasurer) – we received $250 raised from IUCT event as a sponsor
5. Complete Charter and By – laws
6. Develop statement of benefits of membership and objectives of group
7. Set membership dues and discounts
8. Develop a calendar of events – these events to include the following (and more): Board Meetings (4 in person meetings per year plus 3 telephonic meetings), Monthly happy hours/pub athletic events (approx. 12 per year), Summer Barbeque and Student Send Off event as well as at least one large Networking/Speaker Event
9. Appoint board members to take charge of initiatives and events
If anyone wants to volunteer to head up an initiative or an event or take on one of the roles mentioned in point 1 or 2, please let us know before or during the next meeting.
Next meeting is Wednesday November 9 between 6 and 7:30 pm so please save the date. The meeting will be hosted in KPMG board meeting room in the Bay Adelaide Centre. We look forward to seeing everyone there!